Monday, March 29, 2010

Recipe Tag

I have been tagged by Ally to share a recipe with you. Ally writes:

So, what I am asking from you this time is….

What is the meal that you make so often that you don’t need the recipe for any more?

What do you cook when you are pushed for time?

What is the meal you cook that everyone in your house enjoys?

What I want from you is one recipe that does it all. Is that asking too much? I hope not.

I have to say that I find it hard to please everyone in our house and keep it remotely nutritious. I am vegetarian (no-fat), gluten free and no seafood, hubby and the boys can't have any preservatives, all kids are gluten-free and low chemical and our uni student likes steak - at home this is what he mostly eats. Late last year we saw a dietitian who recommended that the kids still eat meat 3 times a week, meaning that I have to cook 2 meals 3 times a week because I am Vegetarian. So... what do I cook that doesn't take long and everyone will eat??

I like this recipe because it doesn't take long, I can use whatever veggies I have at home , it is very healthy, everyone will eat it and be full, I can cook ahead of time or in a rush and I can put a piece of meat to the side to satisfy all of the meat lovers.

Brown Rice Salad - serves 6 as a side dish or 3-4 as a main meal

2 Cups Brown Rice Cooked and cooled

Diced veggies: I prefer Capsicum, Red onion, corn kernels, carrot, celery, but you can use any

Tin of Chick Peas

Dressing:

2 tbs sweet chilli sauce

2 tbs lemon juice

1 tsp mustard

1/4 tsp crushed garlic

salt and pepper to taste

  1. Cook Rice to directions on the packet, set aside to cool
  2. Chop veggies
  3. Stir through veggies and chick peas
  4. combine dressing and stir through rice
  5. Refrigerate
I would love to hear from you if you try this.

To join in the fun I have tagged Bonnie and Cathy.



1 comment: