Saturday, February 20, 2010

Recipe of the Week - I can't do it without my Breville

Yes it is true i could not make this recipe until my lovely husband bought me one of these machines. I tried making pavlova every other way with absolutley no luck. Now it takes literally 3 minutes from whipping to putting in the oven. This is now one of our family favorites for that dessert treat enjoyed by all! What would I do without my Breville?

Pavlova by Stephanie Alexander - Cook's Companion

4 eggwhites at room temperature
pinch of salt
250g caster sugar
2 teaspoons gluten free cornflour
1 teaspoon white-wine vingear
few drops of pure vanilla
toppings of choice

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Beat eggwhites and salt until satiny peaks form. Beat in sugar, a third at a time, until meringue is stiff and shiny. Sprinkle over cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and fold in lightly. Mound onto paper-lined tray in a circle and flatten the top and smooth the sides. Place in the oven, immediatly reduce heat to 150 degrees and cook for 1 1/4 hours. Turn off oven and leave pavlova in it to cool comletely. Invert pavolva onto a platter and top with your own choice of trimmings.

  • The things I have learnt that the recipe does not tell you!!!

You get the best results using eggs straight from the supermarket that have not been in your fridge.

Use the Breville for every step of mixing - including the folding. (There is a folding setting on the machine)

Don't worry about the vinegar unless you are making the day ahead. Vinegar seems to just preserve the pavlova, I have not noticed any other difference.

Don't forget to preheat the oven before you start mixing. I try to remember OVEN, INGREDIENTS, TRAY always!!!!!!!!

Clean and dry your mixing bowl very, very well. I always do this a few hours before making to make sure it is definetly dry.

It wont work if you get egg yolk into the eggwhite. Don't waste your time start again.

Pavlova is fantastic straight from the oven.!!!!!!! This is our favorite way to indulge on desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment