Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Congratulations Jess and Simon - Recipe of the Week

A few weeks ago my brother-in-law Simon announced his engagement to Jess. We are all so excited about their proposed marriage and welcoming Jess into the family. This past weekend we got to celebrate with them.

I wanted to share a recipe this week that I used to make their cake. It is from The Cook's Companion by Stephanie Alexander - which is one of my favorite cookbooks. I have to say I didn't follow her method because it did not work with the bowls etc they way she suggested so I will post my method and let me know if you have a better suggestion.



Marieka's Chocolate Cake

150g bittersweet chocolate grated
150g ground almonds
130g unsalted butter
130g caster sugar
7 egg yolks
9 egg whites

Chocolate Ganache
375g bittersweet chocolate chopped
1 cup cream

  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
  • Butter a 20 cm cake tin - I used a square but they suggest a round one - and line with baking paper.
  • Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, them transfer into a clean bowl and set aside.
  • Cream Butter and sugar till pale in the mix master.
  • Melt chocolate in the microwave for approx. 1 minute, stir every 20 seconds. Stir in the almonds.
  • Add the chocolate mix to the creamed butter and sugar. Combine on a low setting in the mix master.
  • Add egg yolks one at a time until all combined.
  • Fold through egg whites till all combined - my mix master has a folding setting otherwise you may need to do this by hand.

  • Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 45-60 mins. Cool in the tin before turning out.
Chocolate Ganache

  • Put the chocolate and cream into a saucepan, over a low heat cook till all melted and combined.
  • Transfer to the mix master and whip till creamy and cool.
  • Pour over cake....
  • Serve either straight away, or wait till ganache is set.







No comments:

Post a Comment